Monday 3 May 2010

Jack Parow - dik heavy uitgeskollie

I recently discovered Jack Parow, a new South African parody-rapper. Everybody in South Africa was talking about him (and new zep-rap trio "Die Antwoord", which got rave reviews at Coachella this year), so you couldn't really miss it. Parow’s popularity was mainly fueled by the cult success of his song "Cooler as Ekke". You don't have to be a fan to enjoy the very entertaining lyrics; but you definitely have to be Afrikaans.
(Something along the lines of: You think you're cooler than me/because I drink Klipdrift, you drink Peroni/You have friends in Sweden, I have friends in Benoni/I’m original, you’re a copy; I’m a flashdrive, you’re a floppy/Jack Parow, the life of the party/You only wear fucking Issey Miyake, etc.)

I was quite keen to find out what the fuss was about, so went to see him at one of the Stellenbosch Woordfees Events at Beyerskloof, at the beginning of March.



And this is basically the effect he has on most people - something between hilarity and disbelief:


The Black Cat Bones did a cover of a Valiant Swart song, which made them really, really angry.


But Andries (Roof) Bezuidenhout was probably my favourite act as I'm a big fan of the man, and his music.

No comments:

Post a Comment